15 January 2016

Catching Up and Carnitas

One of the main reasons I was afraid to start my blog up again is that I know I'm not one of those bloggers who updates every day. I just can't. Not realistic. So, I'm gonna catch up.

Our Goldie turned 6 last week, and we had such a fun birthday. She invited a few friends to come with her to Chuck E. Cheese, and they ran around like crazy people. It was pretty fun to watch actually, and not to mention a very easy party to have. Sometimes I think about Goldie and my heart gets so tender that I lose whatever words I want to say... she is just so special to me. Anyway, I wrote this on my instagram on her special day (@jennavela):

"Today my sweet Goldie girl turns 6 years old. She is the epitome of the oldest child: she literally takes care of all of us. She's aware. She's sensitive. She's protective. Her heart is one of the most tender ones I know of. Not only that, but she handles trials head-on and never, ever gives up. Her laugh is contagious and her dance moves impeccable. Her determined spirit will take her places beyond her wildest dreams, and I really can't wait to see what amazing things wait for her in this life. She knows she's a daughter of God, she understands what that means and she has a testimony of the Savior. Her prayers are sincere and she always, always, ALWAYS tries her best in everything she does. I cry as I write this because I honestly couldn't be more proud to call her mine. I am in awe of you, Goldie girl. I love you more than words. Happy, happy birthday. You deserve it."


Just look at her. BAH! Love her so much.

Here's your weekly picture of Sam, just because he's hilarious and so damn cute.

Bedhead and covered in greek yogurt.

And now for the carnitas.... OOOOO baby. We seriously love Mexican food, like I could eat it every day, and I pretty much have this week for every meal. I was at Walmart (dude, don't knock it. I know a lot of people are against Walmart, but I'm definitely not too cool for it and I fully accept everyone who shops there. #endrant), and I couldn't believe this gigantic package of carnita steak, all chopped and ready to go. I can't remember the price (sorry), but it was reasonable and there really was a ton of meat. Anyway, this is what I came up with. Easiest and quickest dinner ever:





Jenna's Carnitas
*Please remember that I don't measure! Everything is approximate*

Ingredients

2-3 pounds of carnitas steak
3-4 Tbsp taco seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
Avocado oil
Avocados, sliced
2-3 eggs
Roasted Salsa Verde
Shredded Cheese
Tortillas

Directions

Heat two skillets, one to medium high head and the other to medium. In the skillet that's set to medium/high, add 2-3 tbsp of avocado oil. Now, you can use any oil you want, but I particularly have a new love affair with the avocado oil... so that's what I used. Coconut and Avo oil are great for cooking things at high temperatures because these oils don't burn, just FYI.

When the oil is heated, add your carnitas meat and begin to stir. It really should only take a couple of minutes to cook--don't overdo it! When it starts to brown, add the salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. Brown the meat until it's cooked to your liking... we like ours just a little crispy on the edges. Remove the meat and set aside. 

In your other skillet, begin warming your tortillas. While doing that, crack a couple of eggs into the skillet that your steak was in. We cook ours over-medium and then kind of wreck the center a little bit. Add salt and pepper and remove from heat.

Putting it Together:

Add everything in this order:
1. Tortilla
2. Shredded Cheese
3. Hot carnitas (If I could insert a picture of my mouth open and my tongue hanging out, I would)
4. Eggs
5. Sliced Avocados
6. Roasted Salsa Verde
7. HOT SAUCE (We keep Chalula as part of our food storage. I'm not kidding).

Roll it all up and then make another, because you won't be able to eat just one. Also, you can add whatever toppings you like. This is just what we happened to do that night. Hope you love it!



Have a great weekend, y'all. Tomorrow I'll be posting on my latest kid playroom project, so check back if you're in the mood!

































No comments: